Earlier this year I hosted a Natural Perfumes Workshop, and felt inspired to bring some essential oil-infused treats. I made vegan rolo’s, with our Immune supporting blend as a nicely hidden surprise in the center, and this incredible Vegan Chocolate Fudge Bar – which can also be turned into a pie, depending on the pan you’re using. I never expected it to be this tasty, and wished I’d taken better pictures, as I was just playing around in the kitchen and hoping for the best.
I have added notes for improvement between brackets, to make this even better and yummier for you.
Warning upfront: this thing is epic. And way too creamy. And tasty. People went for seconds, and thirds, and then some. No shame with this beauty! You’ll want to eat lots of it. So make sure to invite your friends and have a feast, and maybe keep some apple cider vinegar near if you end up over-indulging!
What you need:
For the Base:
– 2.5 cups of almonds ( I ended up using less, closer to 1.5 cup, but next time I will adjust the ratio of dates > almonds, so that the base is a little less sweet and sticky)
– 10 medjool dates (I used regular dates, soaked in warm water and rinsed after).
– 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil (the best quality you can afford, preferably unrefined)
– a pinch of sea salt
– doTERRA Peppermint essential oil
For the Chocolate Layer:
– 3-4 ripe avocados (I used 3 big ones)
– 1 cup of coconut oil (again, the best quality you have)
– 1 melted bar of dark chocolate (85% or up), OR:
– 1.5 – 2 cups of raw cacao (depending how rich you like it)
– Pinch of sea salt
– 1 cup of honey (depending on desired sweetness, you can use less)
– doTERRA Lemon and Lime essential oils
How to make the magic happen:
– In a food processor, pulse the almonds until they are roughly chopped. Now add in the pitted dates, coconut oil and salt, and blend until they form a sticky paste. Add in a couple of drops of peppermint oil, process, and taste-test to adjust to your liking. Just like with anything, when you let this stand overnight the flavours will intensify, so don’t overdo it.
– Line a cake tin, either a round spring form or a regular cake pan, with baking paper, and press the base/dough down into it. Make sure it is evenly pressed down and don’t forget the corners! Rest this in the fridge, and get on with the chocolate layer.
– Blend the avocado flesh, coconut oil, cacao powder or melted chocolate bar, salt and honey until completely smooth.( I melted the chocolate bar with the coconut oil, added in some extra tablespoons of raw cacao powder, added the salt and some honey, and added that to the blended avocado flesh). You will likely have to stop the food processor a couple of times to scrape down the sides – a great opportunity for taste-testing! Add in a couple of drops of Lime and/or Lemon essential oil, and test for flavour as you go. Process, taste – mjum!
– Now, spoon this mixture over the almond/date base, then place in the freezer for about 1 hour to firm up. After that you can keep it in the freezer until you are ready to serve it.
Now have fun licking the food processor bowl clean, and try and be patient as all the beautiful flavours come together!
I would recommend to slowly let it thaw in the fridge for a while, so that the bar is firm, yet soft.
Is this something you’d like to make?
Would you use the same essential oils, or go for different flavours? Lavender with chocolate? Lemongrass? Basil? A ‘spicy’ ginger base, perhaps? About 75% of doTERRA oils are safe to ingest, so it’s time to get creative! Share your ideas or experiences in the comments below!